This title is a little misleading. Pajama bottoms are easy – for most people. For me? Not quite. When I decided to take up sewing I knew I had to start with easy projects. Since I put on PJ bottoms or yoga pants every night to sit around and watch TV, they would be put to good use. And, I could make some for Matt. It’s about the only thing I would sew for Matt that he would actually wear.
So I went to Joann and bought fabric from the remnant section for each of us, knowing these could potentially be a disaster. I bought a super easy Learn to Sew pattern. It had one pattern piece. How hard could that be?
Pajama Try #1 – total failure. Sadly when we took our measurements, according to the pattern chart, Matt and I would wear the same size albeit in different lengths. That was depressing. I decided to cut his first figuring I can do my shorter version second. Learned the hard way that I need to pay more attention to cutting. I missed the notches and sewed each leg together at the wrong angle. Because of this the legs wouldn’t fit together properly. Ended in scrap pile.
Pajama Try #2 – mixed result. Since the only other fabric I had remaining was a floral pattern, I made up my pair. I followed the instructions and sizing to the letter. They worked out fine until I tried them on. They were about 6 inches too long and so huge in the waist, they would be good maternity PJ’s! I chopped off a ton on the bottom at that stage so they were very stumpy. Ideally, I would have figured out what length I needed and adjusted the pattern before cutting but I didn’t have the patience for that. I look funny, but wear them anyway. And, I’m not ashamed to admit I was relieved they were much too big.
Pajama Try #3 Finally Matt would get some PJ’s! I bought some nice gray and cream fabric and set out to make them. When I went to cut, I found they were too short for the large. Since the others were so absolutely huge, I thought, “I’ll just make the smaller size – you can barely tell the difference”. Construction went smoothly and quickly now that it was my third time. When Matt put them on and they barely stretched across his hips, I questioned my sizing decision. But, I got a pair that fit me. Sorry, Matt!
Pajama #4 – Success! I bought some soft plaid flannel and since I cut up the last pattern, bought a new one. This pattern had two whole pattern pieces – 100% more difficult! I should have but didn’t worry about trying to match the plaids. It was hard enough to keep the four pieces and right and wrong sides straight. When I bought the fabric, I didn’t notice that it was the same on both sides which made it a little more difficult. But with some extra marks and pins, all worked out well. Matt finally has some PJ’s.
And I can FINALLY move on to something different!
I learned a lot though:
- More cutting pattern practice
- More familiarity with the machine
- Inserting elastic
- Paying attention to finished garment measurements and compare to similar article of clothing I already own. Learned that after the fact…
Definitely done with pajamas for awhile.
Next up: a tote bag!