The past few weeks I’ve been thinking about how there are many basic dishes that I have never made. So instead of making resolutions (they last a week at most anyway) I thought I would make a list of those common and/or favorite foods that I always buy or order in restaurants. Some intimidate me (I’m looking at you, fish!), some are just more convenient to buy. Hopefully, I’ll learn new skills and find new favorites recipes.
Most are really easy, a few are more complex. I’ll keep adding to it.
- A perfect steak at home. This is one that I’ve been too nervous to try. I absolutely love a good steak and I worry that trying it at home will be disappointing. I’ve made prime rib a couple times so I’m ready to try a steak.
- More fish. Especially grilling. Fish can go from perfect to overcooked in a matter of seconds. I never make it at home; I leave it to chefs. No more!
- Twice baked potatoes. Not hard, just never made them for myself.
- Bread. Dinner rolls.
- Pie crust from scratch
- Roast chicken. I tried that once and screwed it up. Don’t ask me how. It was inedible. Since then, it’s been too easy to buy those roasted chickens at the grocery for $5.
- Ice cream. I’ve had an ice cream maker in my basement for years. Maybe I should use it.
- Homemade mac n cheese
- Rice. I know, pathetic. Every time I make rice that doesn’t come out of a box I mess it up. And I don’t want to buy a rice cooker
- Fried chicken
- Frying in general – wings, french fries, shrimp, etc… I’ve never tried. Just bought a new thermometer. I need to put it to good use!
- Homemade cole slaw
- Cesar dressing
- Soups from scratch. I’m not a huge fan of soup but maybe a homemade chicken and noodle will change that?
- Improve my grilling. My husband usually handles that but I should be able to do it too.
I think that’s enough to start! What have you wanted to make but never took the time?