First, sorry about the awful pictures! I lost my remote and was having a heck of a time trying to get the right exposure and focus. They looked fine on the LCD; I guess the focus was way off. It’s bad enough taking pictures of yourself, I wasn’t going to do it all over again!
I initially bought this pattern for version A, the one pictured on the model. I still like it and may make it. I couldn’t figure out what size to make (and questioned how it would look on someone not stick skinny). I went a different direction entirely and tried version B with the twist overlay. You can see the overlay better on the yellow line drawing below. They’re all flattering styles that can be versatile pieces. I think the biggest challenge is finding nice looking knits. I made mine in ITY from Gorgeous Fabrics. It was my first time working with the fabric and I really liked it.
I think it turned out alright. I added about 3 inches in length. After wearing it all day, I realized it’s too big – particularly the overlay (it’s floppy and doesn’t cinch tightly at the waist as it should) and the chest (I end up flashing). I had to wear a camisole underneath. It’s a shame because the overlay is the coolest part – it could be very flattering. That it’s too big is a disappointment because I was torn on the sizing. I still have a hard time with that part. I know pattern sizes are usually 2-3 sizes bigger than what you wear in ready-to-wear but so many reviews say the big 4 have too much ease and recommend going down a size. Where do you end up then? That combined with the fact that knits don’t need much ease at all, it’s confusing to me. I went with a 14 as my measurements indicated which was a mistake. I was so nervous it would be skin tight I even sewed smaller than normal seam allowances. Guess I didn’t need to worry about that. Now I may try to figure out how to take it in. And maybe shorten it a bit. Next time I sew one, I will likely use a 12 for the chest and overlay, maybe the whole top. I can’t win picking sizes. Rant over…
This top is a pretty easy one to put together. Strangely, it was one of my most frustrating projects but only due to my own mistakes and my machine. I broke three needles before finally taking off my walking foot. From then on I had no other issues. But until I made the switch, I had all kinds of skipped stitches and jammed fabric. This was all on the first few steps! There was a lot of inappropriate language coming from the sewing area! Then, for the life of me, I could not figure out how to do the overlay. Once I figured out I missed marking a dot, it made perfect sense.
Some times I wonder why I picked up a hobby that can frustrate me so much. My real job doesn’t even do that!
In the end, I would recommend the pattern and I’m definitely going to make another – just need to find the right knit.